The University of Tulsa's College of Engineering and Natural Sciences

Advising Office


Continuing Engineering & Science Education (CESE)



The University of Tulsa

How do I change from one college to another?

Changing your college requires completion of a Change of Division Form. This form is available from the college advising offices and requires signatures from the advising offices of both colleges.

How do I change my major?

If both the new and old majors are within the same college, the advising office can provide you with the necessary form and help you switch your major. If the new major is in another college, you must complete a Change of Division form first (see above).

What is pass/fail?

The College of Engineering and Natural Sciences allows students to take all general education, Block I, and Block II courses offered by other colleges Pass/D-F, except English 1003, 1033, and 3003. In general technical courses may not be taken Pass/D-F by engineering or science students. If you declare this option and earn a grade of A, B, or C in the course, then it will show on your transcript as a P and will have no impact on your GPA. If you earn a D or F, the grade you earned will show and it will be calculated into your GPA. The pass/fail declaration form is available from your advising office and can be declared during the first 3 weeks of the semester.

How do I change my address or other information?

It is the student's responsibility to ensure that the University has an up-to-date address and telephone number so that important academic information can be delivered to the student in a timely fashion. To update your address, please ask for a Student Change of Personal Data form from the Office of Registration and Records in McClure Hall.

Can classes at another institution transfer here?

There are some important restrictions that apply to transfer credit. Permission to transfer college hours will be granted only if there are extenuating circumstances that prevent the student from taking a similar course at The University of Tulsa. Students who want permission to transfer credit hours should submit a written request to the Dean of the College of Engineering and Natural Sciences before enrolling at the other school. (Requests should be turned in to the advising office to be forwarded to the Dean.) The extenuating circumstances that make the transfer of additional hours necessary should be spelled out clearly in the written request. Tuition differentials, personal finances, or the fact that a course may be easier at another school do not qualify as extenuating circumstances. In addition, the last 45 credit hours towards graduation must be taken in residence at TU (effective Fall 1995).

What is my class standing?

You are a freshman if you have from one to twenty-nine credit hours completed. Sophomore standing is from thirty to fifty-nine credit hours; juniors from sixty to eighty-nine; and seniors, ninety or more credit hours. Only completed credits count towards class standing.

Whom do I contact if I have any questions about course selection and educational planning?

You may contact your academic advisor or your faculty advisor. Both your academic advisor and your faculty advisor will serve as coordinators of your educational experience and will assist you in your planning, as well as, refer you to other departments and services on campus as needed.

How often should I see my advisor?

You may contact both your academic advisor and your faculty advisor as often as you wish. You are encouraged to take the initiative in seeking their assistance at any time you have questions or concerns.

Where can I contact my academic advisor?

The Advising Office for the College of Engineering and Natural Sciences is located in Keplinger Hall room M205. You may stop in and set up an appointment with an advisor at your convenience, or you may call 631-2223 or 631-2224. Our mailing address is: The University of Tulsa, College of Engineering and Natural Sciences Advising Office, 600 South College Ave., Tulsa, OK 74104-3189. Our office hours are: 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday through Friday. Our summer office hours are: 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday through Thursday, and Friday's 8 a.m. to noon.

What is the procedure for dropping a course?

A course may be dropped during the first three weeks of a semester with no academic penalty. Academic penalty refers to the fact that there will be no entry on your transcript. To drop a course during this time period, you must complete the Drop/Add form available in the advising office (see above). The form requires the signature of your faculty advisor.

What consequences should be considered before withdrawing from a course(s)?

Course withdrawals are treated as a serious matter that require advisor/student interaction. Students must see their faculty advisor when they need to withdraw from a course. In addition to the faculty advisor's signature, the instructor's signature is required to withdraw after the first three weeks of the semester. No withdrawals are permitted after the 12th week of the semester. Within the period (4th through 12th week) that withdrawals are permitted, there will be a transcript entry of either "W". If withdrawing from a course reduces the total hours for the semester to less than 12, then there are also financial aid implications and, in the case of international students, visa status implications. Students should check with those offices for additional information before they drop below full-time status.

Academic advising is an educational service provided to you at The University of Tulsa. By working with your advisor, your growth as a student can be powerfully influenced. Your questions and comments are always welcome.

Comments or Questions? email.


© 1997 - 2007 Engineering and Natural Sciences College
The University of Tulsa
800 South Tucker Drive
Tulsa, OK 74104
Phone: 918.631.2478